The Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 introduces a number of State Planning Policies that outline a vision for our new planning system and provide the framework to make it happen. These State Planning Policies cover any matter relevant to planning and development or anything considered appropriate.
Our progress so far…
- Guiding Principles completed.
- Project Scope completed.
- Audit of interstate State Planning Policy Frameworks and concepts
- Audit of existing state strategies, policy and referrals
- Inter- agency secondments commenced (November 2016)
- State Planning Policy Agency Reference Group established (December 2016)
- Draft State Planning Policy Framework prepared (December 2016)
- State Planning Policy Agency Reference Group endorsement of draft State Planning Policy Framework (June 2017)
- Commence engagement with stakeholders on draft Framework (February 2017)
- Draft State Planning Policies for discussion with Stakeholders (July 2017)
- Consultation on State Planning Policies (to be determined)
The Act prioritises State Planning Policies that are key to the future liveability of South Australia. These include:
- Design Quality Policy - design policies and principles that are to be applied in other instruments such as the Planning and Design Code
- Integrated Planning Policy - policies and principles to encourage integrated land use transport and infrastructure planning
- Adaptive Re-Use Policy - policies and principles to encourage and support the adaptive reuse of buildings and places
- Climate Change Policy - policies and principles that seek to minimise adverse effects of planning and development decisions on the climate and promote development that is resilient to climate change
- Special Legislative Scheme Policy - policies relating to any declared special legislative scheme, a character preservation law and the following Acts:
- The River Murray Act 2003
- The Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary Act 2005
- The Marine Parks Act 2007
- The Arkaroola Protection Act 2012
State Agencies are working collaboratively with the Planning and Development Division to establish the framework for State Planning Policies. A State Agency Group has been established to help identify the suite of policies that are required. The framework should be available for discussion early in 2017.